The elliptical is a fitness device very fashionable currently. It should be said that it has everything to please: it is the only device that solicits 80% of muscle mass and is perfectly suited for any cardiovascular training.
An elliptical machine in detail:
The best elliptical machine is a hybrid device between the exercise bike and the stepper. It allows the top and the bottom of the body to be worked simultaneously by an elliptical pedaling movement.
It consists :
• A wheel of inertia: its weight determines the fluidity of the movement.
• A magnetic or electromagnetic resistance, which brakes the flywheel according to the chosen resistance level.
• From a handlebar: it can be single or double post.
• Touch sensors: located on the handlebar, they measure your heart rate during your workout.
• A console: which allows you to select a workout program, control your heart rate during exercise, know the number of calories burned, as well as your speed.
How to choose the best elliptical machine?
Ease of use.
All models of elliptical machines do not have the same comfort criteria, so it is important for you to determine which ones you feel are essential to your goals.
– the presence or absence of moving wheels, it will help you in the storage of your material,
– if your elliptical machine has stabilizers to ensure better stability,
– if your model is foldable to reduce its size and ease its storage.
There are currently two types of handlebars on the market which can be complementary: fixed or mobile.
The fixed handlebar allows the user to concentrate his efforts on the lower part of the body.
The so-called mobile handlebar is made up of two large arms that can be moved from front to back. In addition to the legs and the abdominal belt, it allows to work the muscles of the back, the arms and the shoulders.
Note however that many models have both types of handlebars for a complete and more harmonious work of the body.
Although not all models are equipped, we strongly advise you to choose a bike with a heart rate monitor, such as the Kettler Unix PX model. These cardiac sensors are usually placed on the fixed handlebars or along the movable arms. They will allow you to optimize your session by giving you the opportunity to monitor your progress in real time or by giving you an estimate of the number of calories burned according to your age.
The heart rate monitor will allow you to work out a specific goal of your workout (endurance, weight loss, muscle strengthening), especially if you are in an optimum heart rate target area.
Directly controlled by the dashboard, the training programs, provided on the majority of elliptical bikes, are more or less varied, according to your needs and your objectives. These programs designed by professional coaches will motivate you to achieve your goals and the most advanced, will help you to target very precisely certain muscle groups for a complete work. The ergometer function on elliptical bikes with motorized or electromagnetic magnetic braking will automatically adjust the pedaling resistance according to the selected program. Ideal to stay concentrated during the effort and not to force beyond its capacities.
Also, the greater the number of programs, the more you will be able to vary your exercises and thus remain motivated. Some models, such as the elliptical DKN XC 140i, will even offer the possibility of downloading personalized workouts via the internet via a simple USB key.